Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A *&$#@ Zen Micro/Outlook breakthrough

God bless zdnet: http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Creative_Zen_Micro_5GB_black/4514-6490_16-31151919.html

After much googling and frustration, I have found what I believe is a breakthrough ... There is not just the "Creative Organizer" program as a means of getting information on to my Zen. There is also a "Zen Micro Media Explorer" program, and apparently that one is the one I need to sync my Outlook with my Zen. Is the problem me? Am I just frickin' stupid? No, dammit!!!!

When I loaded the Zen software onto my computers, a shortcut to the Organizer appears on my desktop. What about the Micro Media Explorer????? Not so much.

Of course, my Zen Micro is a modern device with modern packaging that does not include a frickin' owner's manual. I'm one of the fools who actually reads those, at least a little. I can deal with having an owner's manual on disc or whatever, but I didn't even get that (that I could find, though the Zen registration is certainly easy to find -- not that I'm bitter. Oh wait ...). I even searched the Help content in my Creative Organizer (a scintillating process to be sure), but apparently because it takes a different program to sync with Outlook, it didn't address the problem AT ALL. Not even enough to tell me there was a different program.

And neither did most of the product reviews/info/etc. OR the Creative Web site!!!!

But I remain committed to my Zen. I really like the damn thing even if THIS is driving me crazy. I think, as a committed non-Apple-ite, that what keeps me going is the moments of glory and success made more powerful by the work it take to earn them. It's like what they say about golfing ... one good shot will fuel years of hacking. Speaking as someone who has trouble keeping it under 200 strokes for 18 holes (but who once came within a foot of a hole in one) I know about the power of a shining moment. OK, so I haven't been golfing for years. But that shining moment is what makes me willing to even consider picking up clubs ever again.

On to work. We'll see soon if my "breakthrough" really works.

1 comment:

MommyCheryl said...

OK, here's my question. If you took the time you've been devoting to trying to figure your damn Zen Micro out and you applied it to your actual work, could you possibly make it home before what should be the boys' bedtime??

I'm just asking.... (And teasing. I know it doesn't always work that way...)