Thursday, January 19, 2006

I love this crazy, Wiki world ... even when I'm cell phone shopping

An unfortunate truth about me is that I manage to be obsessive about things like cell phones and computer upgrades and, let's be honest, TV shows, pop cultural detritus and random items of all types. This obsessiveness can be deep, but it usually short-lived. And I rarely manage to put the knowledge I accumulate to good use. I'm not as disciplined as the Wiki people, the ones who share what they learn in a way that's useful for the world. I admire the Wiki people. And I probably trust them more than I should.

I turned to them when I wanted to know what it means to have a cell phone that is "unlocked." Please don't expect an explanation of that in this space. Just know that I have learned that I don't think it's something I need to be worried about in the context of my particular cell phone obsession du jour.

You see, my Other Half has a cell phone that is a bit of a diva, prone to fits of attitude and unwanted frozen silences. I rather meanly pointed out to my dear Other Half that our cell phone upgrades tend to happen because she breaks hers, but really, that's not fair. When you spend most of your time in the company of two toddlers with little respect for the delicate nature of, well, anything, a certain degree of trouble is to be expected. And the truth is, I usually enjoy the upgrade process. But now, I feel sort of overwhelmed by it. A colleague raved about the newest, latest, Motorola whatever-the-hell, and I realized that I have more important things to spend my money on. Like Thomas trains and accessories for my Zen Micro. Or maybe I just don't feel like going around and around with the TMobile people. New phones always cost more than I think, and I don't know that we've had our old ones long enough, and so on.

Really, it's all just marking time until "they" come out with the perfect converged item, taking the best elements of my Palm, my Zen and my Sony Ericsson T610.

No comments: