Tuesday, January 17, 2006

... it's in my blog, she said, not so modestly

So I mentioned to one of my colleagues today that I have a blog. That makes two. And each time I tell someone it's a bit of a thrill, like "Aren't I just so tech-fabulous and 21st-century cool?"

And then reality sets in.

All I've done is create a journal that is open to the public. And the public doesn't give a crap. If nothing else, it's a useful exercise to occasionally commit my, you know, profoundness to virtual print. Writers write, and all that. Which may be why I make my living as an editor.

I also realized that I made the mistake of mentioning my self-obsessed little exercise to someone who is actually a professional and acclaimed blogger. His name is Todd Bishop. Perhaps you've read his pithy and often funny-as-hell dispatches from the land of Microsoft (http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/). Security patches, Macworld reports, the Google Pack .... these are just some of the latest tidbits. I'm sure that the details are terribly interesting to people who visit tech blog after tech blog. I don't. I can barely see the early adopter's dust from here. And yet I'm hooked on Todd. Maybe it's because I'm intrigued by Microsoft's journey and the entertaining bumps along the way (Apple won't let MSFT use its icon on a Mac keyboard? Eat that, Gates!). I also dare to think Todd and I have similar sensibilities, though I'm not sure he quite understands my passion for that maddening blue light of my life, the Zen Micro.

No comments: