Thursday, January 26, 2006

Earphones, and why they don't work for me

You know the popular image of iPod people: They've got the white wires going from their magic little box into their ears, and a look of bliss, even if they're running in 90-plus heat and humidity. I'll tell you, the droves of sweating iPod people I saw racing through D.C. last summer made suffering look good.

But I am not one of those people. And that' s not because I have an aversion to running (unless I'm being chased by a bear or something). And it's not because, as mentioned frequently in this blog, I am a Zen girl. I'm just not an earphone person. It's because I like to hear what's going on around me. And even if that weren't so, there's something about me putting in earphones that causes people to want to approach me. I'm suddenly the most important conversation partner in the world when my ears are full of music, or whatever.

Today was worst than most. I haven't been able to get more than 30 seconds of earphone-in time at a stretch. It's downright silly.

The upside is that I may be less likely to get the earphone deafness that's increasing exponentially as iPods and MPSs take over the world -- until a study comes out about the dangers that loud car radios represent to commuters. Then I'm screwed.

No comments: