Sunday, January 01, 2006

Wow, do I ever suck

One of my new year's resolutions is to start a blog. So here. Actually, it's something I've been thinking of doing for months, but you'll notice that procrastination (along with a mystifying overestimation of my ability to do things quickly) is a recurring theme in my life, and therefore, this thing.

So I had to mull over what my blog theme would be. Work? Nah. People get fired for that if they say anything interesting. Plus, I work for a newspaper and that Romanesko guy is all over it better than I could ever be. My kids? Nah, the other half is all over that (see eddieandchasdiaries.blogspot.com/) better than I could ever be. Then I had what I had my eureka moment, and in keeping with this whole instant gratification/Internet age, I took a few weeks to commit.

My blog is inspired, appropriately enough, about being late -- another recurring theme in my life. I'm late for meetings, appointments, church, you name it. I hope to be late for my own funeral someday. Very late. Late enough to hear what everyone says about me. Anyway, I was so late in getting on the blog bandwagon that my original URL idea (betterlate.blogblog.whateverthehell) was taken. I had to go with "betterlater." The r is key, and really, honestly dead-on appropriate for me.

I have delusions of punctuality that go along with my delusions of hipness, of being an early adopter, of discipline. You'll probably see posts on things like:

"Lost" -- I watched part of the first episode when it first aired, didn't get it, got distracted, did the dishes, forgot the show until other half did a review of the first season DVD set. Wow. Did I ever blow that one.

MP3 players -- Note that I did not say iPods. Yes, I realize that 98 percent of the world of MP3 owners has an iPod (and though that's a fake stat, it's only off slightly). But I have a Zen Micro. And if I'd have been less lazy and started blogging sooner, you'd know why. I'll probably tell you later. But suffice it to say, I don't need a stinkin' iPod.

Gay stuff -- Other Half is a girl. I am a girl. This seems to freak some people out, and I was one of those people until almost 10 years ago when I realized that marrying a guy was a big mistake. Talk about late, and later. But not too late, thank God. Oh yeah: Other Half has a name, and it is Cheryl.

Kids -- I like to use Ellen's joke about wanted a big screen TV and kids and wanting neither of them to come out of me. I probably like it too much, Other Half points out. Tough. She'll hear it another 197 times at least before I'm done. Anyway, I've got two kids. Twin sons. They're 2 and 3/4. Cheryl did the hard work and birthed them. I just counted loudly, and stared gape-faced at the mess when it was all over.

OK. Other Half just told me blog entries need to be shorter so as not to bore the reader. As if there will be any. But I'll stop now. Because it's time to eat some popcorn, eat some cheesecake and watch "National Treasure." I've had that DVD floating around for weeks (probably about as long as I've been thinking seriously about blogging, ironically enough) and tonight's the night.

No comments: