Monday, January 30, 2006

A lesbian movie that doesn't suck?

At least that's the dream. It's called "Imagine Me & You," and stars Piper Perabo. Had to look around for a while to find a trailer that didn't rely on Apple ware, which my computers tend to choke on ... but I finally found one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JOVP/sr=1-1/qid=1138658643/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-8418309-7400642?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Amazon.com turned me on to this film, with an email clearly aimed at people who have bought similar movies on their site. They coyly describe similar as "relationship-based comedies and dramas." Uh, do you mean lezbo love stories? ("Kissing Jessica Stein" -- guilty!)

Also found this movie, with a similar plot:

http://www.aprilsshower-themovie.com/about.html

I don't know why, but that one is setting off my suck-o-meter a bit. Which isn't necessarily that bad. "It's In the Water" kind of sucks, but it's bad in a watchable way, and the love scenes are convincing (not just the sex scenes, but the talking, and that's just as important to me).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004STHG/qid=1138659903/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8418309-7400642?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

Most lesbian movies I've seen, like a lot of indie films in general, are more earnest than anything. But I have nothing nice to say about "Claire of the Moon," the lesbian "classic" that manages to be boring, boring, stereotyped, and boring. And when it finally inspires a response, that response is a cringe. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

No comments: