Thursday, January 19, 2006

That FM transmitter (static) I raved about (static) ...

So I'm driving into work, happily listening to Dan Brown's "Deception Point," and all of a sudden, static begins to intrude on the imperfect but engaging prose. And I'm thinking: I'm worse than Sports Illustrated! I rave about something and it immediately heads for the crapper. It's like back in the '80s when I became a fan of alt-country/rock Lone Justice (they broke up), then I carried on that fandom to Maria McKee, the Lone Justice lead singer with the crazy eyes and the crazy good voice. She had a big hit internationally with a song called "Show Me Heaven" (off the soundtrack to a crappy Tom Cruise/NASCAR movie called "Days of Thunder") but since she's one of my absolute favorite performers of all time, then you've probably never heard of her.

And that's too bad for you, though you can catch up a bit at www.mariamckee.com. Hey, she's got a new album out! It's called "Peddlin' Dreams," and it's in the Lone Justice vein, which is super good news to some folks (the ones who thing "You Gotta Sin to Get Saved" is her best solo record and like to use adjectives like "rootsy"). It's just OK news to me. I like it better when she cuts loose with heartbreak and spirit and a strangely vaudevillian chanteuse soul. I'd rather buy "Life is Sweet" again. Or "High Dive." I don't usually like sad songs. Or sad movies. Or sad anything. But she makes them compelling and cathartic.

But back to the static on my FM transmitter. It took me a while, but I finally realized that the problem is not me and the Midas-in-reverse powers of my endorsements, but some worn batteries. Problem solved. But I still haven't had time to tackle the syncing issue.

No comments: