Sunday, January 29, 2006

Power Popping my Zen

So, I'm adding some music to my Zen -- music that really shouldn't have waited so long, though since I'm a geezer now I think of my Zen mostly as an audio-book listening device.

There ya go, Todd (the guy who can't understand my Zen affection): If I had an iPod, I wouldn't be able to download books from the library (specifically netlibrary.com). So there!

Anyway, I'm loading up Jellyfish ("Spilt Milk" and "Bellybutton"), The Bangles (hits), the Beach Boys ("Pet Sounds") and Fleetwood Mac (hits). And some more Maria McKee, who I've already gone on about. Jellyfish was probably my favorite band of the '90s, hence doomed. The magic music identifier in my Zen organizer software identifies them as Power Pop. Same goes for the Bangles and should have gone for Crowded House (loaded some of them, too -- alleged greatest hits, though you've not heard of most of these songs). Instead, Crowded House was called New Wave. Seems like they came on the scene a little late for that (mid-80s, not early). But whatever. They're power pop to me. Split Enz, the band that begat Crowded House -- now THEY were New Wave.

And you may be wondering how I explain the fact that the Beach Boys and Fleetwood Mac managed to achieve such glories despite the curse of my fandom. Well, that's because I didn't discover them until waaaaaay late in the game. For the Beach Boys, the game was pretty much over. For Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham had left the game and needed to be replaced by two guys -- Billy Burnett and Rick Vito! (The '90s again.) I saw Fleetwood Mac live (at KeyArena in late '90 or early '91) and didn't fully appreciate it. But I think it was Christine McVie's solo rendition of "Songbird" that made me go back and check out something other than the latest record (the very non-essential ... uh, I'll need a few minutes with Google to remember what it was called ... right, "Behind the Mask.")

By the time Fleetwood Mac reunited with Lindsey Buckingham and hit the road for its triumphant comeback, I was living some Mac-ian drama of my own. I went to that show with my then-husband and my future partner (my companions for many things in 1997). None of us wrote any songs about our adventures, though. Unless you count my ex's unfinished "I Hate Lesbians."

1 comment:

MommyCheryl said...

Man, it's not that you use it for audio books that makes you seem old. It's for the music you're loading onto it. Good Gawd, what a Geezer!

I quibble with you on Crowded House. I would consider them neither power pop nor new wave, but if I had to pick, I'd probably go with new wave. Jellyfish I'd categorize as obscure. But that's just me.