Thursday, March 30, 2006

Ways My World Is Different, 2006: Song on the Radio Edition

Driving in to work today, I did something I don't do a whole lot anymore: Listened to music on the radio, just randomly switching through stations. I recently added 93.3 to my presets, you know, to hear what the hip-hop generation is listening to. On this day, they were listening to a song about how a guy is in love with a stripper. Sample lyric, courtesy of the magic that is Google:

She poppin she rollin,
she rollin' She climbin that pole
and Im N Luv with a stripper
She trippin she playin,
she playin Im not goin
nowhere' girl im stayin
Im N Luv with a stripper

Awesome. That's some good stuff there. Man, I felt old. So I turned from the cool station to one of the adult contemporary type stations, and felt much more at home. A woman sang of love and heartbreak. Then a guy who sounded like Sting chimed in. And hey, doesn't that woman sound like Sheryl Crow? Hey, it is them! How did I not know about this song? It's even apparently on her new album, which I thought I'd listened to. But I'll be honest, her new album had a certain sameness to it that caused me to zone out a bit (albeit pleasantly). Maybe Sting is best appreciated after a palate-cleansing ode to bump 'n' grind 'n' luvv. Sample Sheryl-Sting lyric:

They say that love is in the air
but never is it clear
how to pull it close and make it stay
Butterflies are free to fly
why do they fly away
leaving me to carry on and wonder why

This being the new world, I was able to get lyrics and artist info for both these songs in seconds, and even stream the Crow-Sting video, "Always on Your Side," at MSN (didn't feel the need to see the visuals accompanying stripper love). Sheryl looks gorgeous, post-breast-cancer surgery and all. Sting looks more appealing than a 50-something guy has a right to. See for yourself: http://music.msn.com/artist/?artist=16091968

I need to get this song on my Zen Micro. Before I can do that, though, Sheryl of 1993 -- shit, was it really THAT long ago? -- pops up in my MSN streaming window with "All I Wanna Do." Curlier hair. Convincing boho look from someone who seems genuinely in touch with not having as much money as style. Someone other than Sting playing standup bass. Use of a line from another song (butterflies are free vs. this ain't no disco). Weird people floating around. Lots of tight shots of her purty little mouth, which seems a little too intentionally pouty. I liked the '90s version a lot. But I like the 2006 version better.

No comments: