Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Good news on the women's sports magazine front (I think)

I am optimistic about Real Sports. It doesn't ignore the biggest sports out there (male dominated though they are), and that's where I'm at. I just want a woman's spin on things, ya know?

This is from their "About Us" page:

REAL SPORTS magazine will be the magazine of choice for fans and athletes involved in girl's and women's sports. Its purpose is to entertain and inform so our readers can become involved with the drama of competition involving female sports.
REAL SPORTS will deliver the finest editorial and action-based photojournalism possible, with a staff-team focused on serving the needs of our readers while also achieving personal and professional growth.
REAL SPORTS will remain cutting edge with a bit of an attitude, designed to challenge conventional thinking in order to bring media coverage of girls' and women's sports to a new, unprecedented level.
REAL SPORTS will far exceed the expectations of an untapped market segment eager for the positive, active portrayal of outstanding female athletes.

Maybe they need to work that sense of fun a little, but like I said: I'm optimistic.
I also found something called Her Sports (http://www.hersports.com/). The name is a bit precious, and as I feared, it's more targeted to the marathoners, triathletes and others than the likes of me. God bless 'em, but I want to read a magazine that doesn't make me feel guilty for only getting on the elliptical once or twice a week at best.

Imagine my surprise at seeing that Her Sports is actually run by the woman who won Martha Stewart's "Apprentice." So publisher Dawna will be stepping away from the mag to embrace peri-celebrity, but Her Sports will live on! They promise! It'll be as big as Martha Stewart's "Apprentice" ... oh, wait.

No comments: