Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Hat's on to the Seahawks

One advantage to being late is bargains. I picked up a Seahawks NFC Champions beanie today for only $10 (they were going for $15-plus before the Super Bowl). Actually, they were still going for $15-plus at Seattle Team Shops, but I looked at the hole-in-the-wall memorabilia store a few doors down, and yahtzee!!!

The bargain store did not have a functioning front door, but it did have several beanies for me to choose from. A couple just had a Seahawks logo. A couple had the NFC Champions logo, with different details. All were cuffless except for one. Being old school, which is really just a euphemism for "old," I was going to go with the cuff kind. But then I rethought it. The cuffless did seem cool .... and the dude working in the store said the cuff didn't seem to have a reason for being (not like I thought it was for carrying a pack of smokes or something, but OK). I listened to the dude. And I remembered how much I enjoyed wearing a cuffless Seahawks beanie on Super Bowl day, when I was at the office attempting to be useful.

That beanie was never really mine. It belonged to our classical music critic, who won it in a raffle. Since he wasn't there, I claimed it on his behalf. I knew he wouldn't want it, but I hadn't gotten around to asking him if I could have it. Or to asking him if he minded if I wore it. Details. Formalities. Plus, I was trying to figure out how to ask and not seem ridiculously gauche. Silly me.

When I finally saw our classical music critic/hat winner, days later, he amazed me by acting like he wanted the damn thing. Fortunately, I had only worn it once, for a few hours, and not sweated or anything. It still had the crease of newness about it. I handed it over, then found out that classical music guy only wanted it because our books writer had asked him for it. Curses!

I thought little about the hat I never knew I wanted until a few days ago, when in my usual obsessive way, my mind returned to the topic and I considered my options. Ebay had surprisingly few Hawks beanies available, for not anything resembling a good deal. Except for on the ugly one.

Then came my brainstorm: The Super Bowl is history! Winter is almost history! The souvenir types will be selling these beanie hats for a song! It wasn't quite the case, but I can live with $10. On to the next obsession. It won't be jerseys for the boys -- at least not for a while. Those things are still going for something like $50 each. But I'll keep my eyes open. There may never come as happy a day as when I found Seattle Storm merch for 70 percent off (a sad commentary on the lack of widespread public support for my gals). But the thrill is in the chase, after all.

No comments: