Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Rave-ing mad

After a weekend of ... let's call it "healthy debate" about "raves" vs. electronic music events vs. other miscellaneous gatherings of youth and the relative dangers of each, Cheryl and I have reacher our common ground: We're going to be hard-ass parents.

This discussion stems from the horrible shooting rampage that claimed the lives of six young people in Seattle -- including a 14-year-old girl from our town, Milton. The shooter also died, taking his own life without shedding light on why he did what he did. And this lack of motive has led to an intensive and fast-moving river of blame that includes:

"raves"
house parties
guns
nutjobs
loners
parents

Cheryl and I began our debate with raves. As I pushed for what I considered clarity (the zombie-themed costume party thing wasn't really a "rave" and what did it have to do with the killings anyway, since they happened at an after-party?), Cheryl said it was a distinction without a difference. Raves mean electronic dance music oriented gatherings to her and many others (including some people in the community itself) but raves, to me, also mean illegal, fly-by-night, quasi-secret events in warehouses, with no attempt at regulation, rule-following or responsibility of any kind.

Now, I'm not going to be so naive as to claim there were no drugs at the "zombie rave" in question. But I just wanted to push the point that this kind of event -- a gathering of young people at an established, responsible venue (not even a bar, but an arts center) -- is no worse, and perhaps "better," than a rock show, or other such event designed for the purposes of the getting out of the ya-yas. Cheryl will probably weigh in with a comment on her point, and I understand where she's coming from. But this really is about common ground at this point, and that common ground is, as I said, hard-assed-ness.

The Milton parents now mourning their child have been through enough, but I think it's important for every parent to look at this situation and ask themselves what they would do -- not what they at 14 would want their parents to do, as I fear many well-intentioned adults do. Cheryl and I agree on this: If our kid went to one of these events, they would get their ride FROM US. We would not set a 3 a.m. curfew. And we would be checking in, and expect responses/updates/etc. Kids need boundaries. On that, Cheryl and I agree. Thank god.

Now hand me my glow stick, pacifier and ecstasy. I need to relax.

1 comment:

MommyCheryl said...

O.K. Here goes nothing....

First, I was reacting to what I saw -- and still see -- as very defensive posturing from the "electronic music" community. All this insistence that the shooting wasn't at a rave and how dare anyone say it was is kind of beside the point. I mean, he could just as easily lain in wait and shot people leaving the rave. He was a nut. So what that it was at a house party afterward?

When I think of a rave, I don't think of illegal warehouse party -- that seems to me to be what they were 10 or 15 years ago, not necessarily now.

Bottom line, whether it is at a rock show, a rave or simply a bar, there is a certain amount of danger in being in a large group of people you don't know, some of whom are undoubtedly ingesting drugs or alcohol. For the "rave" community or whatever to try to paint this as having zero to do with the shooting is crazy. I don't care what the event, inviting a bunch of strangers to party afterward 'til morning carries risk.

Perhaps the "rave" community is filled with wonderful, peace-loving people. All it takes is one asshole. As for the drug use, well, I doubt any of the drugs purchased at a bar, a rock show or a rave come with tamper-proof packaging. And again, all it takes is one psychotic asshole.

I also argue that the "rave" community likes to bring attention to themselves with events like this. I know, I know, it's just "self-expression." But think about what that means -- expression. What's the point of expressing yourself if nobody notices, right? But then when somethign like this happens, they instantly cry out that they are misunderstood. Guess what? Young people have been making the claim forever, whether it was Frank Sinatra music or the Sex Pistols they were listening to.

Nobody but freaks would say the victims "deserved" what happened or invited it, etc. And it could have happened anywhere. However, the danger is escalated in this or any "community" that encourages all-night partying with strangers.

Don't even get me started on inviting someone over because they seem "sketchy."

But yes, we will be hard-ass parents. If our boys want to go to raves or whatever is in vogue when they are in their 20s, that's fine. I just hope we will have brought them up with enough common sense to realize the danger inherent in hanging out with enormous groups of people they don't know.

And one of the biggest dangers of drugs is the loss of good judgment. Ecstacy might not make you violent. But it might make you just a teeny bit less able to recognize someone who is going to be violent.