Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Two bottles of Bad Idea, cont.

You know my biases: I prefer my soda in the form of, you know, good ol' fizzy (diet) soda. Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper is as exotic as I get. And I don't much care for coffee. So I am clearly not the target audience for the new Coca-Cola Blak, which combines elements java and pop in a relatively low-cal (45 per bottle), energy-drinkish way.

So if it ain't me, who IS the audience for this "innovative carbonated fusion beverage"? Well, the French apparently love the way it combines coffee and Coke in more sophisticated fashion than Red Bull. The bottle's definitely sexier, with that familiar Coke contour in a little black dress.

But how will Coke fare in JavaWorld, where everyone must bow to King Starbucks? The pop star is ready to battle, says the Atlanta Business Chronicle (http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2006/03/13/daily21.html):

Coca-Cola also may be looking to pick a fight with Starbucks Corp. (NASDAQ: SBUX). Coke has been investigating for two years ways to brew high-quality coffee, espresso and teas quickly in individual servings. The company filed five U.S. patent applications in 2005 for coffee and tea "pod" designs, single-serving brewing machines, and a system to steam milk to make hot espresso and cappuccino. Coca-Cola already has been awarded two patents.

No comments: