Thursday, May 25, 2006

You don't have to say you love me ... just keep Dusty Springfield close at hand


OK, how sad is it when a love song basically pleads for someone to just be nearby, with no strings, no reciprocation, no nothing. That's the premise of, yes, "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," a fabulous song by Dusty Springfield.

For anyone who might not know, Dusty Springfield was a soul-pop singer who had some hits in the '60s ("Son of a Preacher Man," "I Only Want to Be With You"), but most importantly, inspired waves of performers to follow in her white-soul footsteps. I listened to her for much of my ride home today, testing my new earphones. Which are great. And which revealed even more layers of feeling.

It's interesting to me how she seems lag the tempo, as if staying on the beat implies a certain control that's just not possible when you're singing such a beautiful but desperate song. "Believe me!" she implores again and again, and I do. I completely do. I believe that she really would try to live under the most painful of conditions just to have her love in her life. And I have to admit, knowing that she was gay (or bi, depending on your interpretation), adds even more to her sentiments for me.

For more on the this, check out this tribute on the After Ellen site: http://www.afterellen.com/People/2005/5/dustyspringfield.html

For the record, I was a fan before I knew she was gay, back when the Pet Shop Boys introduced me to her (that's an extended Dusty cameo on "What Have I Done to Deserve This") back in the '80s. But I have to admit, knowing that she did love women back when it was well nigh impossible for her to have a family like mine, adds to the experience.

(Dusty Springfield died of cancer in 1997, shortly before her induction into the Rock 'n'n Roll Hall of Fame.)

No comments: