Tuesday, May 23, 2006

More on Allison Moorer, who did a show AT MY OFFICE!

Well, she didn't perform at my office, in the sense of my workspace, but at my office in the sense of my building. Pretty cool nonetheless. How weird it must have been for this acclaimed singer, who has a new release coming out on a relatively major label (Sugar Hill), to take the quasi-stage in a conference room full of pasty Internet workers (some of whom I think were drawn mostly by the free pizza).

"This is like dinner theater, except it's not dinner," Allison said before launching into her four-song set. She was gracious in the face of a room full of noshers. I didn't feel right eating at the show, so I didn't. But others tore right into their pepperoni and olives and mushrooms, etc.

She sang: "New Year's Day" ("it's gloomy," she apologized, but right for a cloudy day), "Fair Weather" (the first single), "You'll Never Know" (a yearning love song that sounds like a single to me) and "Hallelujah," which was written on a tour bus outside the New Orleans House of Blues, pre-Katrina ("wings are hard to find, but thank God I found mine in time").



I didn't know there would be free pizza, but I was interested to hear Allison, aka Mrs. Steve Earle (he produced her new record, "Getting Somewhere"). She is also the sister of Shelby Lynne, a successful singer who played Johnny Cash's mama in "Walk the Line." The email telling us about this "fishbowl" event (my first as an employee of the Big Internet Retailer henceforth known as BIR) compared her to the Bangles and that other well-known all-girl pop band, so they had me at hello. Or Go-Go, as the case may be.

I love rootsy pop, and Allison delivered. It's not all country stars in the conference room, but this job rocks.

1 comment:

MommyCheryl said...

BIR... Amazonians... I'm figuring this thing out....