Wednesday, May 10, 2006

New gig, Day 1

Actually, it's Day 3, which tells you how things have been going. I've had a lot to take in, and still do. I'm going to shamelessly crib from the update email I sent some work friends:

The culture at Amazon, where of course I haven't officially started yet because, you know, I'm still on the books at the P-I, is interesting. Focused. Lots of boys everywhere, and as on interview day, I'm one of the best dressed people around. I work across the street from Uwajimaya, which is great, though it could get expensive. I had baby squid for lunch yesterday. Actually several of them. You can see a picture on my blog, tentacles and all, still attached to round, delicious baby squid bodies. I work at US1 (Union Station 1). The view is a step down, especially from my cube, where I see Tim Appelo's back, and a window that is either shaded or open to the hill behind PacMed, the hospital turned Amazon headquarters. Got some training there from some very perky people. They LOVE Amazon.

My job is, well, so far it involves desperately trying to look like I understand when some brilliant engineer type starts spouting tech talk about the proprietary site scheduling system. I'm getting some more training in that today. More pursing of lips and nodding "knowingly." Wish I could tell you more specifically about the thing I'm working on. Can't. It's a little bit of a moving target anyway, but you'll see it soon.

I work with a bunch of guys. They're nice. Mostly young. Very smart. They make D&D jokes sometimes. Sometimes I think of them as my frat brothers, in a Revenge of the Nerds way. It's a very different vibe than the P-I, but I like it so far.


Friends asking about jobs: 3

Friends asking about potential boyfriends: 1

No comments: