Friday, May 05, 2006

"I goin' to work at the newspaper"

So, we're at the toy store with the boys, picking out birthday presents for their cousin, and on the way out they stop to play in the irresistible (and laughably, allegedly off-limits) demo play sets, play houses, etc. outside the toy store. They climb and crawl and mostly mess around in the houses as opposed to the plastic "climbing walls," so we aren't too worried about the likelihood that these were assembled by uninterested stoners in the back.

Anyway, Eddie comes out of the house, albeit reluctantly, because it is time to go. In his mind, it's time to go to work, though it's really time to go to the nearby Outback Steakhouse. He says "I goin' to work at the newspaper." And then he wiggles his fingers and moves his hands, as if he is ... what? Could he really be mimicking typing? Wow. I am touched. He has just been to the newspaper the day before. My last day there.

So I tell him, "Mama's going to work at Amazon. Do you want to work there?" He glances dismissively my way, as if to convey that I can do what I want. Then he says, again, "I goin' to the newspaper." Sigh.

1 comment:

MommyCheryl said...

Actually, that was the second time he said it. The first time you were down the row of playhouses. Eddie said, "I have to leave now. I'm going to work." Then he walked out, stood next to it and said very matter-of-factly, "I'm makin' the newspaper." Wham! Arrow to my heard. How in the hell are we gonna explain working at Amazon to a kidlet? Who knew he understood where you worked to begin with? And more importantly, what if this is his true career choice??AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!