Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Getting from Point A to Point B (after a few minor detours)

I thought I would be a train rider, merrily hopping on at my station and arriving literally across the street from my office. But after a couple of days, I've taken the train exactly zero times. This can be blamed on a number of factors, not the least of which is my ... um ... punctuality problem.

You see, trains don't give a crap if you're only 3 minutes late. They leave anyway. They don't care if you were in the vicinity of the parking lot, but not quite parked. They roll.

The good news for me is that buses are actually very cool, as long as you don't accidentally get on to the 174 instead of the 177. Both get you to downtown Seattle from Federal Way, but one of them takes about an hour longer and has much smellier passengers. Not that it isn't fun to stop every 10 feet along Pac Highway ...

I just thank the good lord above that I have a patient partner. Let's just say that getting to work and home involved numerous phone calls and her willing slog through the Metro site. I tried to be amused by my ignorance of public transportation, but when it came time to get home, and I couldn't figure out where the damn bus stop was for a while, I may have been a bit snappish. Sorry, sweetie.

No comments: