Friday, May 26, 2006

Superman Returns -- much younger


First, let me just say that watching the trailer for the new Superman movie practically brought a tear to my eye. And, it made me laugh. And, it had just the right amount of acknowledgement of the iconography (one of the things that made me laugh was an "it's a bird, it's a plane" joke). The preview was a total home run, and I have high hopes for the movie.

But …. I think the actors seem too young. You could say this is because I'm getting older. But you could also say so because it's TRUE! Yes, Gillian Anderson was only 24 when she was cast as a relatively experienced doctor/scientist/government agent on "The X-Files." But she had a certain gravitas that Kate Bosworth, 23 now (and 22 at the time the movie was filmed) lacks. Just to put this in perspective, Bosworth taking over the character from Margot Kidder, who was 30 (gasp!) when the first Superman came out in 1978. And that was, I believe, dead right. It doesn't help that the events of the first two Superman movies, which "Superman Returns" takes as its canon/jumping off point, took place five years in the past. Bosworth now, "five years on," looks too young to be Lois (the mother of a school-age-ish son, not to mention star reporter who theoretically went to college and achieved some sort of notable resume).


I've come to terms with the fact that I'm too old to play Lois Lane. Not to mention wrong for the part in other ways. :) But come on!

1 comment:

MommyCheryl said...

Gotta agree. So how old was she when she had the kid? 17? 16? Does this mean Superman should be a registered sex offender since he slept with her in Superman II???

Seriously -- this is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. But I'm still excited to see the movie. Though I will miss Christopher Reeve and Madame Crazypants, er, Margot Kidder.