Thursday, May 18, 2006

Two straight days of techno/info breakthroughs ... my eyes hurt, my brain's swollen and I'm psyched!

So I won't bore you with the details of the work stuff, but suffice it to say I use a couple of sophisticated yet occasionally buggy, fabulously powerful yet at times incomprehensible computer programs. And I'm finally starting to understand them! Sort of! Got some legal training (seriously), got a "helper" program going, talked to a friend who works here and has bent these tools to her will, etc. Good times.

I'm also learning about stock grants, investments, my employee discount, marketing to gays and lesbians (beyond saying, "Hey, honey, buy that"). And I got a report on my final paycheck, including money for unused vacation. The actual dollars will be in the bank tomorrow, and no doubt gone soon for the great good of fence making, etc., but it's fun to feel flush.

Oh, and did I mention that I figured out how to get my Palm to use my cell phone as a modem for Web surfing? This is exciting yet pathetic. It's exciting because I've done it. It's pathetic because I have owned both things for at least three years and it's taken me this long to actually make it happen. And, as it often goes, my haste and theoretical quickness led to a process that was actually much longer than it had to be. (Not unlike when I ended up returning some stuff to Costco so that I could re-buy it with the coupons I forgot to use at checkout the day before ... but I digress).

Anyway, if you must ever make your phone connect your device (PDA, computer, whatever) to the internet, and you're a TMobile customer, go here: http://us.t-mobile.mywds.com/

This will take you to something called, I kid you not, their "Configurator." That just seems like a syllable or two too many, but what do I know? From the site:

"What does the Configurator Do?
The Configurator provides guidance on connecting your favorite PDA or laptop with phones that are compatible with our new T-Mobile Internet high-speed wireless data network as well as those supporting our existing, dial-up data service. But remember, you must subscribe to T-Mobile's data services before you can begin using your mobile data solution. "

OK. There's probably more, but all this feeling mighty is taking its toll. I'm going to take a walk.

No comments: