Monday, February 13, 2006

Sometimes it just feels like there isn't enough caffiene in the world

This weekend started with a challenge: Help transport and assemble a "spring floor" of the type typically used by gymnasts and cheerleaders from one gym to another. Why? Because it was a good thing for my niece. That's all I know. Except that I am not as strong as I might like to think I am. What a spring floor is, is frickin' HEAVY. It's 60 four-foot by eight-foot pieces of plywood, each with 32 large springs attached to one side. Simple, but effective. And sliver-inducing. And shoulder-twinging and knee-tweaking. Not only am I not as strong as I might like to thing, I'm not as young as I like to think. Though I would still like to kid myself into believing I wasn't completely useless in a work party of mostly 20- and early 30-something guys. Loaded the floor into a U-Haul, then unloaded it. There was no talk of a return trip, and I did not volunteer.

Got to bed late Friday, late enough for it to be early Saturday. All I managed on that day was swimming with the boys. And going to a park. And sleeping. Went into the bedroom to "rest my eyes" and woke up a couple of hours later.

More sleeping Sunday, but also some yard work. Much remains to be done: Mowing and moss removal especially. But what does it say about the way my job is going that I found myself looking forward to doing things like laundry, cleaning water (full of dead worms) out of the boys' sandbox and vacuuming?

Wow, this is the most exciting blog post ever. I'll stop before the adrenaline rush becomes too much to bear.

No comments: