Thursday, February 16, 2006

My name is Stephanie, and I am an addict ...

My eyes snapped open at about 7:30 a.m. (That's about a half-hour, 45 minutes earlier than usual in my Double Gulp era, though I had been getting up that early before then.) My head hurt in what, to my vague recollection, resembled the feeling of a hangover.

Am debating whether or not to have Pain Aids for breakfast. The headache is easing. Or maybe I'm just kidding myself. I'm amazed at how awake I feel. I've been increasingly exhausted, just crushingly tired of late. I thought it was all work-related (I won't bore you, but there's lots going on, and moving toward having one job not two is WAY tougher than I thought.)

Am debating whether or not to drink any more caffiene at all ever again. I'm sure I will. Probably today. Possibly within the hour. But it won't be Diet Coke. I recognize that I crossed a line. I recognize that I pretty quickly got to the point where I had to continue to drink massive quantities of Diet Coke just to feel not wrong. And I recognize that heroin addicts say the same thing (about heroin, not Diet Coke -- though I could be wrong ... apparently meth addicts loves them the Mountain Dew, so for all I know ...).

The funny thing is that I though Diet Coke was just OK. I much preferred iced tea. But a gear slipped, and in the course of a year, Diet Coke made me her bitch. But Diet Coke may have more of a bitch than she bargained for.

No comments: