Thursday, February 23, 2006

Dilbertian achievement

You know you've crossed some kind of boundary when you feel like you had a good day because you wrote a useful memo and got four signatures on a form -- in addition to attending four meetings, three informal huddles and a couple of face-to-faces that required use of a conference room. I crossed that boundary yesterday.

Am I high on dry erase fumes? Is this achievement?

I suppose it would be hipper to have "The Office"-ian achievement, but you saw the name of this blog .... I actually watch "The Office" more than I read Dilbert these days, but Dilbert remains imprinted on my mind as the dominant icon of a hell divided into cubicles.

Speaking of "The Office," my great fear is that I am a boss like that boss -- someone who thinks he's cool, connected and beloved when he's really just a pathetic buffoon that people are laughing at and not with. In my more confident moments, I think that I'm actually all right at helping people do their best work and feel good about it.

No comments: