Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Wait -- a hoops star AND an A student?


It's Seattle Storm season, and while I don't have time to be as obsessed with the team as I have been in the past, I have enough lingering obsessiveness to start reading up on the gals and the WNBA.

And I came across this nugget about Storm star Lauren Jackson, from Jayda Evans at the Seattle Times. (Yes, I'm usually a P-I loyalist, but not when it comes to Storm coverage. Sorry.)

Jackson did some number-crunching during last summer's injury-riddled season. She used her research to write a 40-page strategic planning paper about KeyArena that helped her complete work on an business management degree she earned in December in her native Australia.

Jackson researched forums, Web sites, financial paperwork and news articles, devising the same three options people in the area have read the past year — splitting the Sonics and Storm, moving both teams, or building a new arena.

"I hope we keep the Storm here and play at KeyArena because we didn't lose that much money as a franchise. In the last couple of years anyway," said Jackson of her research, which earned her an A on the paper. "[Seattle] is pretty much where I spend a majority of my time now. I spend more time here than I do in Australia. It's kind of like home and I've definitely kept an eye on the situation. Hopefully it will turn out for the best for us."
The Storm plays its season opener Saturday -- and while the team's future in Seattle may not be assured, here's something else to be happy about as long as the time is here: LJ is healthy and happy and ready to win. I was worried when I read that she played in Korea AND Russia in the off-season, considering that her shins were stress-fractured and misery-causing. But apparently playing in Korea and Russia made her feel better and not worse. Here's a report from the Storm's official site:
"It's not fun when you're always dragging around some sort of injury, and for years I was," offers Jackson. "Now for me it's a lot more fun being out there knowing that I'll be able to walk after the game or I'll be able to practice tomorrow or, if I do something bad, I'll be able to work on it. It's really been a bonus for me."
Jackson is somewhat at a loss to explain the difference in her health. There has been talk of orthotics that have helped relieve the pressure on her feet and shins, and Jackson thinks it may have to do with playing through the off-season or her body maturing. For the most part, she is not interested in wondering why.
"Everything has just ... I don't know ... fallen into place," she says, quickly adding, "It's about bloody time."

No comments: