Friday, May 25, 2007

Rosie's done with the View ... and so am I


Rosie had another three weeks on her contract, but after an unfortunate blowup with the callow Elizabeth Hasselbeck (who turned out to be more of a friend to ideologues than to the fellow mom across the table), she decided to go. It just makes me so sad. For a while there, I thought the show would go down in history as a tribute to the kinds of meaningful discussions where people who care about each other disagree but don't become divided.

It's interesting that this happened at the same time as my split from my church. More sadness. More divides. Maybe that has made me particularly sensitive to the Rosie situation. Maybe it's the family argument that ensued when I actually shared my views (about the war, gay rights, etc.) with my brother's in-laws, etc., who griped about Rosie without any understanding of the reality that Rosie and I are not so different. Or maybe it's just the fact that I take things that happen to chunky, smartass, pop-culture obsessed, dark-haired lesbian moms personally.

MSNBC is doing a vote about Rosie and the View. Go here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18868495/ and do what your heart tells you.

No comments: