Monday, June 04, 2007

Hot and not ...

So, we bought another air conditioner. And we were on the verge of using it this past weekend. 'Cause it was freakin' HOT!!!

And yes, I'm a heat wimp. But I'm not alone. And it's not my fault! Read this, from a story written a few years ago by my former colleague, Sandi Doughton:

Hot weather rarely persists here, thanks to the cooling proximity of Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean, said UW meteorologist Cliff Mass.
And that explains why each hot spell is a shock to our tender physiologies.
When the mercury climbs, a body that isn't used to high heat runs like a poorly tuned car. Sweat glands and other systems are suddenly forced to work harder to accomplish the same tasks — and they don't like it.
After a week or two of hot-weather exposure, sweat glands become more efficient and effective, said Dr. John O'Kane, sports-medicine professor and head physician for the UW Husky teams.
"You sweat more heavily and your sweat becomes more dilute, so you don't lose as much in terms of electrolytes," he said.
Heart rate also drops, and the body produces more plasma, effectively thinning the blood, O'Kane explained.
Part of acclimation may be in the mind as well.
"When you see the same weather day after day, you're dressed for it, you're expecting it, it may not feel as hot," he said.


Hot weather also makes me nervous. Especially when it comes so early in the year. It's just not right! This is the Puget Sound area, the rainy NW. I know May-September is the best time to be here, but nearly 90 degrees in early, early June? That's just not right.

Neither is what I had to go through to find out what the temperature was yesterday. Sheesh. I know the internet is all about NOW! and NEXT! but I had to all the way to weather.com to find out exactly what the temp was yesterday. Thank you, weather.com! (It was 84. Felt like 94 to me.)

Why did Al Gore have to invent global warming????

No comments: