Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Girls in love on The N


The N is one of those high-numbered cable channels that I and a lot of people don't get. But having seen some fan-created montages from "South of Nowhere," I'm interested. It is, apparently, a show about some teens new to LA. So it's that familiar fish outta water thing. But two of the characters are girls in love (yup, that's them with the guy). Which is always nice to see. And it's clearly inspiring to a number of people who have created videos on YouTube:

I only watched a couple, but there are a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rm9poP4JG4

(my favorite, because I really like the Del Amitri song "Roll To Me")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYjuIxDNJfY

(also good, and a little more au courant with the song "S.O.S." by Rihanna)

Wikipedia has an entry on the show, which describes main character Spencer Carlin (Gabrielle Christian) as "confused" about her sexuality. She doesn't seem that confused to me -- she seems like she's falling in love, or already there, with her best friend Ashley Davies (Mandy Musgrave). But getting to that point has involved some boys (as happens in real life, I can attest) and drama (also real). Apparently the topic is handled with the richness it deserves, and some realistic dialogue. Cool.

No comments: