Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The bus zone

In a relatively short time I have become amazingly good at sleeping on a multi-ton moving missle (aka the bus). And I gotta say: there's something intensely satisfying about closing my eyes in Federal Way and opening them in downtown Seattle. Or closing them in downtown Seattle and opening them in Federal Way.

A lot of people sleep on the bus. A fair number read and/or listen to music. Almost none write, as I'm doing (first longhand, then I'll transfer it to the 'puter). Literally never have I seen anyone but me pull out a laptop, though more people may indulge themselves on one of the buses that offers wifi. But the truth is that a bus isn't a great place to use a computer. It's kinda bouncy, sometimes really damn bouncy, which means that if you type with both hands, you might not be able to react in time to a potentially laptop destroying bump in the road. And there's not always a lot of room. Hence, my notepad/prewrite method.

I'm also listening to music as I write this, and getting more used to plugging in by the day. It's kind of nice to hear something besides the engine whine. (A review of my new Shure "noise-isolating" headphones will be coming soon.) I don't usually like to cut myself off from the world, but there's not much interaction to miss out on when you're commuting.

No comments: