Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Most favored mama ... least favored wife?

So, I've been on vacation this week. Which means I've been with my boys virtually 24/7. And let me tell you: With these guys, it's not absence that makes the heart grow fonder. It's apparently presence. 'Cause they are digging me like a ditch. Chas keeps saying to Cheryl, "I don't yike you, I yike mama." And though she and I keep reminding him that it is possible to like more than one person (not to mention more than one mom) at a time, he's sticking to this. And because it gets something of a rise out of mommy Cheryl, Eddie is jumping on board as well, laughing all the way.

Last night, I had a meeting at church and Eddie was positively bereft when he found out he'd be going to dinner without me. Even though I tried to tell him that pizza is way cooler than I am. And tonight, both boys insisted on me reading to them, me snuggling them, me doing all the stuff that is usually Cheryl's domain. Now that I'm not disappearing for most of their waking hours, I guess they're more willing to bond like that.

This has two effects on me: 1, obviously, it's kinda fun to get the adoration. But 2, and more insidiously, it makes me feel bad for the 48 weeks of the year that I'm not with them constantly. Do they withdraw from me a little, consciously or unconsciously, because they know I'm not going to be around so much? Probably. And that really bums me out.

Of course, before I know it, they won't give a crap. But right now, that seems so far away. And I'm good with that. Though it would be good for all concerned if they come around on the concept of "yiking" more than one mom at a time.

1 comment:

MommyCheryl said...

OK, you are not "least favored wife," so let's be clear on that. More to the point, I don't know what the hell is going on with our boys, but the "I don't yike you, I yike Mama" stuff predates your vacation -- your presence has only intensified it.

I think it reached its zenith last night when Chas actually clung to you in the "Big Bed" all night. Prior to this, the nighttime "cuddles," or full-body assault depending on your perspective, have been my domain. Let me just say, I'm happy to share this particular joy of parenting.

I don't think they pull away from you when you go to work. Rather, I think they like to fuck with me whenever possible.

Still, it has been loverly having you home and I'm sure the boys agree. We will all be sad next week and miss you terribly.