Monday, August 06, 2007

The show I wish existed back in 1985 ....


So I recently discovered South of Nowhere, a show that airs on The N (Nickelodeon's channel for teenagers). It's your typical teen-angst drama, complete with broken hearts, missed connections and angst aplenty. Except that instead of boy meets girl, it's girl meets girl! Spencer (the Midwestern LA transplant) and Ashley (the LA bad girl). Their fans call them "Spashley." I'm not sure what I think of the nickname, but I'm a fan of the show.

As with a lot of these shows, the dialog is sometimes painful. But sometimes, it's painfully touching. Like when the girls in the center of the will-they-or-won't-they-storm find themselves at that "we might kiss now" moment. "It's OK," Ashley says.

Simple as that. "It's OK." I don't know if hearing that would have changed the trajectory of my life. (And I would never want to be in an orbit that didn't intersect with Cheryl's.) But you never know.

"Eventually, love trumps fear. Every time."

No comments: