Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"One of the guys" at work

I'm in an interesting position at the office: I work with mostly guys, and many of them are technically young enough to be my sons (if I'd have been getting busy instead of, say, watching Cagney & Lacey or going to marching band practice). Anyway, I am vain enough to want these fellas to think of me as anything but a mother figure. And after today, I'm pretty sure they don't see me that way, which is cool. How do I know this? Well, they talked to me about sex and included non-motherly detail. It's so funny: I'm clearly not someone they want to sleep with, so all that potential tension is non-existent. But they're still intrigued, I think because I am a girl, who, like them, appreciates hot girls. (Though I am not into big-boobed vacant-eyed blondes with the same level of enthusiasm).

Anyway, we had a team-building exercise that involved going to a Mariners game. It was fun -- the ballpark is great, and we were just a few feet from the bullpen. But now that my work no longer involves paying attention to sports, I'm not as entertained by baseball as I used to be. So, I chatted with the fellas in the bright sun, beer in hand (theirs) and diet soda in hand (mine). It's so funny ... talking to them I realize how much time and energy I wasted trying to be straight in my 20s. I could have spent it doing what they're doing: Trying to hook up with girls! But I am so glad I don't have to worry about all the complicates they're sweating, from STDs to different ideas about commitment.

If I knew any twentysomethings, I'd set these guys up. Yeah, they want to get it wet as much as possible -- they ARE guys. But it seems like they're trying to be as decent about it as possible, and I respect that. And hey: They're smart, good-looking and fun to talk to. Oh, and it wasn't all sex: We talked about religion, too. And suburban life (mine). And urban life (theirs). And sports (they want to take me and my family to a hockey game and teach us to appreciate that). We'll see.

No comments: