Sunday, January 13, 2008

Top Chef and spray cheese .... mmm, mmm good

I'm feasting on cooking shows, of all things! I mean, really? Who'da thunk I'd be fan of shows that involve emulsions, sauces and mascarpone?

I used to be a lifestyle editor, which meant that I ran the newspaper's food and restaurant coverage. But it will come as no surprise to anyone that I was not particularly food-aware -- unless you count obsessiveness as awareness. I was the girl who ate a turkey pita for lunch every day (and sometimes for dinner too) for an entire semester in college. One of my absolute favorite things to eat is Kraft mac 'n' cheese, and one of my new favorite treats is spray cheese from a can. (Believe it or not, I'd not ever had that until a week or so ago! As I told Cheryl, when I was growing up, it was waay too expensive.) In fairness to me, I also learned to appreciate morels, fresh oysters, seasonal produce, and Pam's salmon.

Maybe it's my time in the food world that has led me to my latest obsession: Top Chef. Just finished season one. I also just finished Hell's Kitchen, the Gordon Ramsay show. So I'm all about braising, plating, seasoning, etc., etc. And I enjoy my spray cheese and Diet Mountain Dew. I'm full of complications. But as much as the chef stuff, I think what I enjoy about these shows is the compeitition and the personalities. And it feels more accessible to me than, say, Project Runway. Though that might be next.

No comments: