Thursday, September 14, 2006

The old dude with the MP3 player

Let me paint you a picture: Large bifocals. Hat promoting what appears to be heart medicine. Eyes like I remember my grandpa's eyes: Lens-magnified, a little too watery and folded into loose lids. Skin that's not as wrinkled as it wants to be because gravity has pulling some of the wrinkles out.
Oh yeah … and an MP3 player. You don't see that every day.
And then I thought about it. He's probably younger than he looks. Maybe he's in his 60s. Which means he came of age firmly in the rock 'n' roll era. Is that The Big Bopper on his MP3? Really, it could just as easily be the Stones. God knows I often listen to the bands that hit when I was twentysomething.
The bus is slow. Traffic is thick. I want to ask this guy what he's listening to. But he's sleeping. Good cover for my cowardice.

No comments: