Friday, September 15, 2006

It's not just little boys who love trains ....

OK, so I just got on the train at the Puyallup station. It went really, really well, though I didn't have time to stop for a mega gulp. But that should not be the deal maker or breaker.
I'm sitting in a comfy chair with my computer on a nice, solid table …. Once again, I'm overcome with the notion that this is the only way to ride. And it doesn't cost me a dime, since my workplace provides the blessed FlexPass. Blessed, blessed Flexpass, ticket to trains, buses, and everything but boats.
It's true: I can work on my computer on the bus also. But that requires careful balancing, and frequently the light is so bad (or the glare, specifically) that I can barely see the screen. And the bouncing and turning can be downright discomfiting. Not so much is this the case on the train.
Just stopped at the Sumner station. Out the window, I can see a store called, seriously, Sumner Animal Grub. Now cruising toward Auburn, were I had previously caught the train. But downsides to the Auburn station were significant: Too many cars, not enough parking, too much traffic on the roads to get there …..
So, I think I'll be sticking to the Puyallup station. It took me 15 minutes to get there from home, and I had alloted myself 20, so I didn't have to sprint from the parking area or panic in any way. Fabulous. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that I can sleep later when I ride the bus, and it takes me slightly less time to get from home to the bus stop. Plus, if I miss the bus, there's another bus not far behind. The train I'm riding is the last of the a.m.
Did I mention how civilized I feel? I should be drinking tea.
Pros of the train: comfort, zero traffic, better for working, comfort,
Cons: Have to get up a half-hour earlier (but either way, the family's asleep when I go)
Pros of the bus: convenient, more time options
Cons: not always comfortable, traffic (which can stretch the trip into 1-1/2 hours), not easy to work, though it can be done
Just saw a fellow Big Internet Retailer employee, who I recognized by his badge. I never noticed badges in the city, but now I see that many people have them. Some hide them, some seem proud, some are just trying not to lose them. I'm usually the latter. I wonder if he's a regular. I think I may become one.
OK. Now I'm going to find out if the train is better for sleeping.

1 comment:

MommyCheryl said...

Well, the family is going to be getting up closer to when you do, if that's any consolation. I think we'll work toward all getting up together ...