Saturday, January 27, 2007

Kate Fleming and Charlene Strong deserved better. (We all do.)

I get a lot of my news from my wife, who keeps up with current events far better than I. She's the one who told me about how the partner (widow, really) of the Seattle woman who was drowned by floodwaters in her own basement testified before state lawmakers on behalf of domestic partner recognition. Charlene Strong is the widow. Kathryn Fleming is the woman who died. I kept forgetting the names, but I feel like they should be noted.
Here's the story: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301274_domestic26.html
Basically, while the victim was dying at Harborview, her partner was kept from her until the dying woman's family gave the OK by phone. What if they were against the relationship? What if so many things?

"As the minutes ticked by, I kept wondering, 'What if she dies without me holding her hand? What if she dies without knowing that I told her I loved her?' "


Honestly, I can't even bring myself to read the whole story. That quote stopped me in my tracks.

There's no law against Cheryl being my news service, at least not yet. All humor aside, it's just too upsetting to think that even though Cheryl and I have a civil union that's recognized in Vermont, and a marriage that is recognized in Canada, that doesn't necessarily mean anything where we live. I mean, let's say we carried our certificates around with us, instead of framing them and putting them on our wall … would they do any good?
We can be kept from each other, and while I believe we'd prevail in court, a judge can't give back a loved one's final moments.
How can anyone be against this basic right?

No comments: