Thursday, October 05, 2006

More Paula Poundstone ...

OK, so I got distracted for a few days and failed to fully convey the hilarity of Paula Poundstone. Here's some of what she said at her private show for employees of the Big Internet Retailer I work for:

"I have terrible short-term memory loss, but I prefer to think of it as presidential eligibility."
She told us something else about herself:
"I have OCD. I cannot stop talking for the life of me and I managed to turn it into a career.Which is a good thing. But not socially."
And then she riffed on the Big Internet Retailer, after first seeming surprised that it sells not just books but pretty much everything. Here's how she responded to hearing that she was in just one BIR building in Seattle:
"There's another building? There's many buildings? Hey, if this 'selling everything' takes off, there will be many, many buildings."
She remarked upon some BIR recruiting efforts ….
"I saw the posters: 'Do You Know Anybody?' … Isn't that nepotism?"
And then she talked to some folks about their work, including some poor soul who does some kind of tax figuring.
"No wonder they have posters looking for new employees.?
Finally, when she asked how much time she had, the message from the room was to just roll.
"You don't exactly seem hard at it. How the fuck are you going to sell everything?"

No comments: