Friday, February 01, 2008

1985: What? It's a Song Too?

OK, so I'm in the Red Robin bathroom (you know, where all the kids today go to hear the popular tunes), and a boppy little song that catches my ear ...

When did Motley Crue become classic rock?/And when did Ozzy become an actor? Please make this stop/Stop!And bring back Springsteen, Madonna/Way before Nirvana/There was U2 and Blondie/And music still on MTV/Her two kids in high school/They tell her that she’s uncool/Cause she's still preoccupied/With 1985.

1985. (!!!) Well, that's the year I graduated high school. And since this song sounds like "Summer of '69" (aka written about a time by someone who didn't live it), I quickly realize that ... Oh. My. God. Teens of today think of my teen years as something as distant and strange and maybe cool but mostly silly as I thought of the '60s. I felt a little ill, though that may have been the overwhelming air freshener.

So the song is called "1985," as you might expect. It's by a band called Bowling For Soup. (Thanks, Wikipedia.) It came out in 2004, so I'm late in learning about my place in other people's faux nostalgia. I was also late in this particular play of the song, so I didn't hear the first couple of verses, about how the 1985-oriented mom pretty much hates her life, 'cause things didn't turn out like she imagined back in her big-hair days. Sad. My song would be a lot different.

No comments: