Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The P-I lives! (without me ... and that's OK)


I always thought the P-I would survive its battle for survival with the Seattle Times. But I'll be honest ... I didn't expect this:




A settlement ending a four-year dispute between Seattle's two daily newspapers will give the Seattle P-I "a new lease on life -- a nine-year lease," P-I Editor and Publisher Roger Oglesby said as he confirmed the deal to jubilant staff members Monday.


Photos taken later that day by my pal Curt Milton (the guy on the left) showed how jubilant they looked, and deservedly so. I left the P-I for the more stable waters of Amazon.com ... so the obvious question: Regret much?


And the answer is no. I left the P-I not only because of the uncertainty, but also because I didn't think that I could wholeheartedly lead in that situation. I perceived ... a disconnect between the realities of the situation and the way that those realities were being addressed from above. I'll just leave it at that.


I while I knew I could navigate that disconnect, I just didn't want to. Particularly when I could be a part of launching something at the forefront of the way we consume video and movies.

No comments: